To get started with Hotmail, you need to acquaint yourself with the fact that Microsoft has revamped as well as re-branded its mailing service to the new “Outlook”. The prime reason for this switch is the integration with various other Microsoft services such as calendar, contacts, etc. For mailing on-the-go, Microsoft introduced the newly redesigned Outlook app for Android and IOS devices, which includes swipe gestures and smart filters.
In this article, we will explore the ways to configure it on both ios and android.
Setup Outlook app on IOS
Outlook app on ios
Firstly, download the Outlook app from the App Store by searching for ‘Microsoft Outlook’. After installation, open Outlook for iOS and follow these steps for setting up your email account:
- After tapping on Get Started (if new user), tap Settings > Add Account > Add Email Account.
- After typing your email address in the box, click on Add Account.
- After addition of your account, you may then Login to Outlook using your email ID and password and then click on the Sign In button.
- In the next step, you can give the Outlook app permission to sync to services like calendar, contacts, etc.
- That’s it! Just swipe through the intro section and you’re ready to use the iOS Outlook app.
- If 2-step verification is enabled, then you need to verify yourself with the method you used during the initial creation of your account.
- Outlook for iOS devices is available for iOS devices running iOS 10 or higher (compatibility may change over time and/or after significant OS or app updates).
Setup Outlook app on Android
Outlook app on android
First and foremost, download the Outlook app from the Google Play Store by searching for ‘Microsoft Outlook’. After installation, open Outlook for Android and follow these steps for setting up your email account:
- After tapping on Get Started (if new user), open the menu and tap Settings > Add Account > Add Email Account.
- After you type your email address in the box, click on Continue.
- In the next step, you may Login to Outlook using your email ID and password and then click on the Sign In button (or Next button depending on your provider).
- Now, you can give the Outlook app permissions like access to your calendar, access to contacts, etc.
- Setup complete! You may now use the Outlook app on Android.
- If 2-step verification is enabled, then you need to verify yourself with the method that you used during the initial creation of your account.
- Outlook for Android devices is available for Android devices running Android 4.4 (Kitkat) or higher (minimum requirements may change over time and/or after significant OS or app updates).
Q. I’m unable to install the Outlook app.
A. Ensure that you have enough storage in your device and that it meets the minimum requirements listed on the store page. Also make sure that you have a working internet connection for downloading the app before installation.
Q. Help! My Outlook app keeps crashing!
A. It is generally recommended to clear the cache of the app by going to the app’s settings. If this doesn’t work, you may re-install the Outlook app from the respective store.
Q. I’m not able to sign in to the app. What do I do?
A. Your first course of action should be to re-check your email ID and password and see that you have entered the details correctly. If your account details are correct to the best of your knowledge, you can try re-adding your account by removing and adding it again:
- Settings > Select the desired account
- Click on Remove Account
- Then, add the account again and sign in to that account.
Also, make sure that you are using a supported email account, like Gmail, iCloud, Yahoo!, etc.
Q. I want to change the password of my email account.
A. Changing the password from within the email app is not supported so for changing the password of your email account, you will have to access your account from a browser. After signing in, you can go to the account or profile settings to set a new password for your account.
Q. I’m experiencing syncing issues with the app on my device.
A. To fix sync issues in the Outlook app:
- Go to Outlook.com and login to your account.
- Go to Settings > Options > General > then select Mobile Devices
- Select your out-of-sync device and select Remove. Click Yes if asked for a confirmation.
- Sync your mailbox again.
If you still can’t find your error, you can always access the in-app FAQ in the Outlook app on iOS or Android. To access it, open the app menu and in the Help & Feedback section click on ‘FAQs’.