The world has witnessed a great revolution great revolution in the field of computers and software since the beginning of the 21st century. We are currently living in such awesome times in the universe where the virtual world is now the reality.
Just take a minute to ask your grandparents or perhaps, even your parents about the slow and boring process of communication through handwritten letters.
I am sure, they will tell you their ancient story of sending letters by writing some huge address, sticking some postage stamps over it and eagerly waiting for a reply from either side.
Sticking those stamps and stuff may look cute and nice but trust me, it was not at all productive or even close to efficient. Can you even imagine communicating in such a way in the present times?
We love the Internet and its applications so much that we just cannot rely on these age-old procedures.
Envision yourself as a patient who desperately needs some medicinal doses. These medicinal doses are imported and are generally manufactured in very small amounts. If you want to get the hold on these drugs, all you have to do is, place an order and wait for it to be delivered.
How would you place an order?
By sending a letter or just shooting an email to the respective pharmaceutical company?
Smart ones who are very careful about their health would consider shooting an email with their detailed order. This will not only confirm their mail landing in the right place but also will ensure the rapid placement of their order. All credit goes to the email service.
How does one sign up for Hotmail?
The process of being a brand new user on Hotmail is extremely fascinating as well as easy! If you wish to create a new account all you need to do is follow the steps below. You need to remember one thing that currently Hotmail is powered by Outlook.
- Visit the official website. You click on one of this link –
https://outlook.live.com . You can simply type outlook in Google’s search bar and it’ll help you direct to the official site.
- Once you enter the official website you will now be able to see two options- The first one is Create free Account option and the second one is the sign in option. Click on Create free Account. If by any error you click on the sign in the option you can either go to the previous page or you also have an option to create a new account just below the sign in details pop up box.
- You will now be directed to the Create Account page. All you need to do here is select a unique email address and add the extension as @outlook.com or @hotmail.com depending upon your choice. You might need to try entering the new email id a couple of times as the one you like might have already been taken.
- This step is extremely crucial. You will now be asked to enter a strong password for your email account. I would recommend using combinations of different letters, numbers and symbols (@, !, ., etc). You may also opt in or out for various promotional emails from Microsoft. This is completely based on your choice.
- You will now be asked to enter your first name as well as your last name. Once that is done, click on Next.
- You’ll now be taken to the page titled as Add Details. You will be asked to enter your country name as well as your birthday. Make sure you enter the right details.
- This is one of the most interesting steps of creating an account. For verification purposes, you’ll be asked to enter the characters that are written in a confusing pattern. Pay keen attention to the letters and enter them perfectly. If you need the new set of characters to click on new. Some of the users aren’t very comfortable with visual characters. For their convenience, there is also an option titled as audio. Users need to note that they must enter the characters they hear in the same order as they are said. Once done typing in the characters, you can now click on Next.
- You’ll now have to set-up a few things. You need to choose your desired language as well as your current time zone. Click on save.
- In between all these steps, the system might ask for your phone number to make sure you are a real person. This may sound funny to some. This is done to make sure that an additional layer of security is added to your account.
- If you have signed up using a desktop computer, you have the option to choose a theme that suits your interests. You also have the option to choose a sign that will end your email in a professional manner. These signs are made by default or can also be customized.
- Your account has now been successfully created. You are all set to use Hotmail(Outlook)
Other services that it offers!
Apart from a wonderful emailing and email reading experience, you can now access various services offered by Microsoft. They are as follows:
- Microsoft Word
- Powerpoint Presentation
- Outlook tasks
Exploring our account!
- You can scan through and search important emails in the inbox by simply typing in the search bar of your account that is located at the top of the screen.
- You are able to attach various documents, pictures and other media from your personal OneDrive, Gallery, DropBox, GoogleDrive and even Facebook.
- You also have the power to use add-ins. Simply click on add-ins in the options section of composing an email and then click on My Templates. You can even customize the templates.
- There is an option to set the importance of the email. The importance level can be classified as High, Normal or Low
There are a lot more things to explore in your Hotmail account. Happy exploring to all of you!
Why am I boasting so much about Hotmail?
Hotmail is great. It has always been an awesome email service provider. With improvements and addition of some great features, it has now become user-friendly and a lot more efficient. Hotmail (now Outlook) offers a lot of new features like:
We all will definitely agree. Who doesn’t like using services for free? Hotmail is completely free to use and you need not spend a penny for sending messages over its server. You may have to pay some amount for its premium features.
Online Integration with the office
You can access, edit and create documents for your email using all the Microsoft services like Word, Excel, Powerpoint. You can add attachments as big as 100mb and also have this great option of saving them on your OneDrive.
Powerful spam filter
It uses powerful filters to scan our spam emails and puts them in the spam folder. For me, this is one of the coolest features as I receive a ton of junk emails each day!
This is a great feature that will let you intelligently sort out and delete your emails from some or all sources via some rules that you apply to your inbox. Great, isn’t it?
Hotmail allows you to store an unlimited amount of data in your drive. Yeah, you guessed it right. It is for free again. Great news!
Whenever I miss my loved ones this is always my savior. I can make video and voice calls and also gain access to Skype’s features using my Hotmail account
The security is finally here. It saves users’ credentials from the phishing attack. Hotmail had this bad reputation of poor security but now is completely safe!
It helps you view and edits your calendar events stored in your account. A simple yet awesome feature to make use of!
All the contacts connected to your device can now be easily accessed and managed to your account without any hassle.
We all make mistakes. Be it in life or while writing an extremely important email that’ll help you achieve something in life. Spell check rectifies your spelling mistakes by underlining the wrong spelling in red and dropping down a list of recommended spellings. I always needed this when I was a kid!
Boy oh Boy! This makes my interface look so good! You can select a theme of your choice to make your account look stylish and beautiful. One of the best features added so far just to make the interface look hotter!
Hotmail- History and Its Significance!
The email boom is a reality just because of one simple event. It was the birth of a commercialized email system popularly known as Hotmail.It was open to all and completely free to use. This was an evolution. The Internet could now send messages, attachments and had the opportunity to enjoy emailing, thus moving over the age-old method of communication through letters.
Hotmail is one of the earliest web-based mail service providers and the pioneer of the email trend. It was founded by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith in the year 1996 and was later sold to Microsoft in 1997 for a whopping $400 million. Hotmail underwent a lot of transitions. Right from MSN Hotmail to Windows Live Hotmail. It was finally metamorphosed into Outlook with a lot of additional features.
Since the deal, Microsoft had taken Hotmail to great heights with a lot of improvements. Users had the option to convert their @hotmail account to @outlook account. However, they could still retain the old @hotmail account and enjoy the latest features of Microsoft Outlook. In simple terms, Outlook is now the better version of Hotmail.
This was the general overview of your Hotmail account and some really simple steps to sign up for an account in Hotmail. I hope you enjoyed reading!