The world has witnessed a great revolution great revolution in the field of computers and software since the beginning of the 21st century. We are currently living in such awesome times in the universe where the virtual world is now the reality.
Just take a minute to ask your grandparents or perhaps, even your parents about the slow and boring process of communication through handwritten letters.
I am sure, they will tell you their ancient story of sending letters by writing some huge address, sticking some postage stamps over it and eagerly waiting for a reply from either side.
Sticking those stamps and stuff may look cute and nice but trust me, it was not at all productive or even close to efficient.
Can you even imagine communicating in such a way in the present times?
We love the Internet and its applications so much that we just cannot rely on these age-old procedures.
Envision yourself as a patient who desperately needs some medicinal doses. These medicinal doses are imported and are generally manufactured in very small amounts. If you want to get the hold on these drugs, all you have to do is, place an order and wait for it to be delivered.
How would you place an order?
By sending a letter or just shooting an email to the respective pharmaceutical company?
Smart ones who are very careful about their health would consider shooting an email with their detailed order. This will not only confirm their mail landing in the right place but also will ensure the rapid placement of their order. All credit goes to the email service.
How does one sign up for Hotmail?
The process of being a brand new user on Hotmail is extremely fascinating as well as easy!
If you wish to create a new hotmail account all you need to do is follow the steps below. You need to remember one thing that currently Hotmail is powered by Outlook.
- Visit the official website. You click on one of this link –
https://outlook.live.com . You can simply type outlook in Google’s search bar and it’ll help you direct to the official site.
- Once you enter the official website you will now be able to see two options- The first one is Create free Account option and the second one is the sign in option. Click on Create free Account. If by any error you click on the sign in the option you can either go to the previous page or you also have an option to create a new account just below the sign in details pop up box.
- You will now be directed to the Create Account page. All you need to do here is select a unique email address and add the extension as @outlook.com or @hotmail.com depending upon your choice. You might need to try entering the new email id a couple of times as the one you like might have already been taken.
- This step is extremely crucial. You will now be asked to enter a strong password for your email account. I would recommend using combinations of different letters, numbers and symbols (@, !, ., etc). You may also opt in or out for various promotional emails from Microsoft. This is completely based on your choice.
- You will now be asked to enter your first name as well as your last name. Once that is done, click on Next.
- You’ll now be taken to the page titled as Add Details. You will be asked to enter your country name as well as your birthday. Make sure you enter the right details.
- This is one of the most interesting steps of creating an account. For verification purposes, you’ll be asked to enter the characters that are written in a confusing pattern. Pay keen attention to the letters and enter them perfectly. If you need the new set of characters to click on new.
Some of the users aren’t very comfortable with visual characters. For their convenience, there is also an option titled as audio. Users need to note that they must enter the characters they hear in the same order as they are said. Once done typing in the characters, you can now click on Next.
- You’ll now have to set-up a few things. You need to choose your desired language as well as your current time zone. Click on save.
- In between all these steps, the system might ask for your phone number to make sure you are a real person. This may sound funny to some. This is done to make sure that an additional layer of security is added to your account.
- If you have signed up using a desktop computer, you have the option to choose a theme that suits your interests. You also have the option to choose a sign that will end your email in a professional manner. These signs are made by default or can also be customized.
- Your account has now been successfully created. You are all set to use Hotmail(Outlook)
Other services that it offers!
Apart from a wonderful emailing and email reading experience, you can now access various services offered by Microsoft. They are as follows:
- Microsoft Word
- Powerpoint Presentation
- Outlook tasks
Exploring our account!
- You can scan through and search important emails in the inbox by simply typing in the search bar of your account that is located at the top of the screen.
- You are able to attach various documents, pictures and other media from your personal OneDrive, Gallery, DropBox, GoogleDrive and even Facebook.
- You also have the power to use add-ins. Simply click on add-ins in the options section of composing an email and then click on My Templates. You can even customize the templates.
- There is an option to set the importance of the email. The importance level can be classified as High, Normal or Low
There are a lot more things to explore in your Hotmail account. Happy exploring to all of you!
Why am I boasting so much about Hotmail?
Hotmail is great. It has always been an awesome email service provider.
Now you can also use your outlook account on ios & android.
With improvements and addition of some great features, it has now become user-friendly and a lot more efficient. Hotmail (now Outlook) offers a lot of new features like:
We all will definitely agree.
Who doesn’t like using services for free?
Hotmail is completely free to use and you need not spend a penny for sending messages over its server. You may have to pay some amount for its premium features.
All the contacts connected to your device can now be easily accessed and managed to your account without any hassle.
We all make mistakes. Be it in life or while writing an extremely important email that’ll help you achieve something in life. Spell check rectifies your spelling mistakes by underlining the wrong spelling in red and dropping down a list of recommended spellings. I always needed this when I was a kid!
Boy oh Boy! This makes my interface look so good! You can select a theme of your choice to make your account look stylish and beautiful. One of the best features added so far just to make the interface look hotter!
Hotmail allows you to store an unlimited amount of data in your drive. Yeah, you guessed it right. It is for free again. Great news!
Whenever I miss my loved ones this is always my savior. I can make video and voice calls and also gain access to Skype’s features using my Hotmail account
Online Integration with the office
You can access, edit and create documents for your email using all the Microsoft services like Word, Excel, Powerpoint. You can add attachments as big as 100mb and also have this great option of saving them on your OneDrive.
Powerful spam filter
It uses powerful filters to scan our spam emails and puts them in the spam folder. For me, this is one of the coolest features as I receive a ton of junk emails each day!
This is a great feature that will let you intelligently sort out and delete your emails from some or all sources via some rules that you apply to your inbox. Great, isn’t it?
The security is finally here. It saves users’ credentials from the phishing attack. Hotmail had this bad reputation of poor security but now is completely safe!
It helps you view and edits your calendar events stored in your account. A simple yet awesome feature to make use of!
Hotmail- History and Its Significance!
The email boom is a reality just because of one simple event. It was the birth of a commercialized email system popularly known as Hotmail. It was open to all and completely free to use. This was an evolution. The Internet could now send messages, attachments and had the opportunity to enjoy emailing, thus moving over the age-old method of communication through letters.
Hotmail is one of the earliest web-based mail service providers and the pioneer of the email trend. It was founded by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith in the year 1996 and was later sold to Microsoft in 1997 for a whopping $400 million. Hotmail underwent a lot of transitions. Right from MSN Hotmail to Windows Live Hotmail. It was finally metamorphosed into Outlook with a lot of additional features.
Since the deal, Microsoft had taken Hotmail to great heights with a lot of improvements. Users had the option to convert their @hotmail account to @outlook account. However, they could still retain the old @hotmail account and enjoy the latest features of Microsoft Outlook. In simple terms, Outlook is now the better version of Hotmail. If you have ever got blocked from outlook then you can easily unblock your account.
This was the general overview of your Hotmail account and some really simple steps to sign up for an account in Hotmail. I hope you enjoyed reading!
To get started with Hotmail, you need to acquaint yourself with the fact that Microsoft has revamped as well as re-branded its mailing service to the new “Outlook”. The prime reason for this switch is the integration with various other Microsoft services such as calendar, contacts, etc. For mailing on-the-go, Microsoft introduced the newly redesigned Outlook app for Android and IOS devices, which includes swipe gestures and smart filters.
How to configure Hotmail on iOS & Android?
In this article, we will explore the ways to configure it on both ios and android.
Setup Outlook app on IOS
Outlook app on ios
Firstly, download the Outlook app from the App Store by searching for ‘Microsoft Outlook’. After installation, open Outlook for iOS and follow these steps for setting up your email account:
- After tapping on getting Started (if new user), tap Settings > Add Account > Add Email Account.
- After typing your email address in the box, click on Add Account.
- After addition of your account, you may then Login to Outlook using your email ID and password and then click on the Sign In button.
- In the next step, you can give the Outlook app permission to sync to services like calendar, contacts, etc.
- That’s it! Just swipe through the intro section and you’re ready to use the iOS Outlook app.
- If 2-step verification is enabled, then you need to verify yourself with the method you used during the initial creation of your account.
- The outlook for iOS devices is available for iOS devices running iOS 10 or higher (compatibility may change over time and/or after significant OS or app updates).
Setup Outlook app on Android
Outlook app on android
First and foremost, download the Outlook app from the Google Play Store by searching for ‘Microsoft Outlook’. After installation, open Outlook for Android and follow these steps for setting up your email account:
- After tapping on getting Started (if new user), open the menu and tap Settings > Add Account > Add Email Account.
- After you type your email address in the box, click on Continue.
- In the next step, you may log in to Outlook using your email ID and password and then click on the Sign In button (or Next button depending on your provider).
- Now, you can give the Outlook app permissions like access to your calendar, access to contacts, etc.
- Setup complete! You may now use the Outlook app on Android.
- If 2-step verification is enabled, then you need to verify yourself with the method that you used during the initial creation of your account.
- The outlook for Android devices is available for Android devices running Android 4.4 (KitKat) or higher (minimum requirements may change over time and/or after significant OS or app updates).
Q. I’m unable to install the Outlook app.
A. Ensure that you have enough storage in your device and that it meets the minimum requirements listed on the store page. Also, make sure that you have a working internet connection for downloading the app before installation.
Q. Help! My Outlook app keeps crashing!
A. It is generally recommended to clear the cache of the app by going to the app’s settings. If this doesn’t work, you may re-install the Outlook app from the respective store.
Q. I’m not able to sign in to the app. What do I do?
A. Your first course of action should be to re-check your email ID and password and see that you have entered the details correctly. If your account details are correct to the best of your knowledge, you can try re-adding your account by removing and adding it again:
- Settings > Select the desired account
- Click on Remove Account
- Then, add the account again and sign in to that account.
Also, make sure that you are using a supported email account, like Gmail, iCloud, Yahoo!, etc.
Q. I want to change the password of my email account.
A. Changing the password from within the email app is not supported so for changing the password of your email account, you will have to access your account from a browser. After signing in, you can go to the account or profile settings to set a new password for your account.
Q. I’m experiencing syncing issues with the app on my device.
A. To fix sync issues in the Outlook app:
- Go to Outlook.com and login to your account.
- Go to Settings > Options > General > then select Mobile Devices
- Select your out-of-sync device and select Remove. Click Yes if asked for a confirmation.
- Sync your mailbox again.
If you still can’t find your error, you can always access the in-app FAQ in the Outlook app on iOS or Android. To access it, open the app menu and in the Help & Feedback section click on ‘FAQs’.
Just imagine the word ‘E-mail’! What sight comes to your mind at first thought?
It must be Gmail or Hotmail or Yahoo Mail. Now that Yahoo has almost lost it holds over the market, it’s only Gmail and Hotmail(now Outlook) that are the competitors. Gmail, as you must be knowing, is the email service provided by Google while Hotmail is a Microsoft service.
Now Hotmail has a very long and interesting history! Hotmail (now Outlook) is the oldest web-based email service owned by Microsoft and currently the second biggest one! In the later sections of this article, we shall be discussing briefly its golden history, its perks and finally the stepwise process to create email id of the form @hotmail.com or @outlook.com
If you need a professional that is very easy to set up and use, then I would suggest that Microsoft’s Hotmail(Outlook) is a MUST try! With one Microsoft Outlook account, you can access all your email, Office, OneDrive and all other Microsoft services whether you are operating on Windows or Mac!
A BRIEF HISTORY:
Can you imagine a world where you need to pay a hefty amount for using email services? Yes, once upon a time, the situation was just so!
At that time, two former Apple employees, Jack Smith and Sabeer Bhatia in Mountain View, California decided to build the first free webmail services over the internet. With its launch on July 4, 1996; people were freed from ISP-based email and could now access their inbox from all around the world! The original name was ‘HoTMaiL’, symbolizing the markup language popularly used to create web pages!
The very next year in December 1997, the tech-giant Microsoft saw the bright future of Hotmail and clinched the opportunity to buy it for a deal of $400 million. Microsoft later developed it and integrated it with other Microsoft services like Microsoft account, Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Spaces.
Over the years, after stiff competitions from Gmail and Yahoo Mail, overcoming many setbacks and security issues, Hotmail has evolved into the present Outlook which comes together with Office 365 and other Microsoft services.
Having peeped through the history of Hotmail, let’s look into the features of Hotmail (Outlook) which makes it stand out of other competitors.
Here are some of the most interesting features that Hotmail/ Outlook offers to those having an account or are willing to create a new account.
Security and privacy:
One important feature that users look for is privacy. Unlikely Gmail, Outlook.com doesn’t scan your email attachments for ads and your personal chats are totally free of any annoying ads. Adding up to your privacy, Outlook strictly adheres to Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting and Conformance (in short, DMARC) guidelines thus providing you the best security in message transmission along with Extended Validation Certificate (EVC) to secure your end-to-end connection with Outlook.com.
On April 17, 2013, Microsoft yet again leveled up its security settings by adding two-step verification process to all the Outlook/Hotmail accounts. In this two-step verification process, Outlook/Hotmail allows you to log in using a single time use code instead of your account password. This way, you can keep your account information confidential and secure. So with all these enumerated points, we get that Outlook.com is suitably more secure than other email services.
One unique and interesting feature introduced in Outlook/ HotMail is the Active View. Using this, you can directly View the contents within an email without opening them! For example, you can preview your photo attachments using the Active View. Also, Outlook/Hotmail provides a platform to view media from other websites like YouTube, Flickr, LinkedIn, and USPS directly within the email. For example, you can now view the YouTube video whose link you have received an email! Other features of Active View include real-time tracking of USPS couriers, social media actions, etc.
Office Online integration:
Another cool feature recently added to Hotmail/Outlook is the shortcut panel linking all the Microsoft online services in one place! Using Outlook/Hotmail, you can now view and edit all your Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files online within the email. Once you sign up on Hotmail/Outlook, you can send up to 25 GB of Microsoft Office files (up to 50 MB each) by uploading them on OneDrive and adding other users as collaborators.
The new Skype for Outlook/ Hotmail allows making Skype voice or video calls on Outlook.com without the need of the Skype application. This feature first rolled out in the UK on April 30, 2013.
This feature is similar to a ‘virtual boom’ using which you can delete or sort numerous emails into specific folders based on the sender’s contact information. Once you ‘sweep’, you can set the settings of Outlook to remember the same settings to be performed for all future emails! You may also specify custom rules as per your requirement.
Outlook/ Hotmail’s first addition to time management was done on January 14, 2008, as Windows Live Calendar. The latest Calendar features an interface very similar to the desktop apps such as Windows Calendar where you may import calendar entries. You can now view, add and drag-and-drop calendar events in a chronological order without the need of reloading the page. The calendar also has an additional to-do list feature to keep track of the upcoming tasks.
Hotmail/Outlook’s contacts management service was initially released as Windows Live Contacts, and even before known as Windows Live People. Now you can keep all your Contact profiles and info, and access them as and when required! All your contacts are automatically updated and linked to various other social networking websites, such as Facebook, Google+, Twitter, etc.
Originally, this feature was integrated into the Office 365 suite and later separated. This feature helps you manage your tasks right.
There are many MORE exciting features that you shall get to know once you sign up on Hotmail/Outlook. Some other features include using keyboard shortcuts to navigate across the mouse with the need to use a mouse, to search through your messages, organizing emails into folders, message filters, spam filtering, importing and exporting contacts, multiple languages support, etc.
Quick views and one-click filters:
The quick view feature in addition to the handy filters allows you to filter all the emails from all folders based on the types of attachments, flagged messages, updates on shipping, read or unread messages, social networking messages, etc.
Using this feature, you can now create multiple and unique email addresses (up to 10 in a year) linked to your Outlook/ Hotmail account. For a particular account, all you created aliases use the same inbox, contacts and account settings.
Short guide for creating hotmail account
Having discussed the lot of interesting and unique features that Hotmail/Outlook has in store, you must be pretty excited to create your own Hotmail/Outlook.com account. Let me tell you it is really very simple to create an Outlook/Hotmail account.
First thing first: After opening your web browser, browse to https://outlook.live.com/ and click on the ‘Create A Free Account’ option.
Get your unique username:
On the next screen, you need to enter your desired email address in the “Username” field. Make sure your preferred email address is unique. On the very right, you should find a drop-down menu from where you can choose the type of email address preferred, whether @hotmail.com or @outlook.com.
Create a strong password for your account:
The third step is to set a strong password for your Hotmail/Outlook account in order to keep it secure. Be smart to set a password that might not be simple to predict by any companion of yours. Once necessary condition for password set by Microsoft is that it must be at least 8 characters long, comprising uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols (@, #,$, %, etc.). Once done, Click on ‘Next’.
Provide Your Details: On the next few screens, you need to fill in your personal details like your full name, the country/region you belong to and your date of birth. On filing these details, click on ‘Next’.
Time for verification: Hotmail/Outlook needs to confirm that you are a human and NOT a BOT. Hence, it sets CAPTCHA to be solved either by listening to the audio or by seeing the CAPTCHA image and typing in the same. Once, Microsoft confirms your input to be correct, you can proceed to the next step. You can now also easily move your account from hotmail to outlook.
Secure your account:
As a security option, you need to enter your Phone number along with your country code to be safe in case you lose your account password or for some unknown reason, CAN NOT access your account. Microsoft will send you an access code to verify your phone number.
Setting up your basic settings:
On the next screen, you need to set up your preferred language and your time zone. With this, the sign up is now done with!
You are all set! You should receive a confirmation message from Microsoft along with your new email address. Voila! You just created your own Hotmail account.
If you wish to further secure your Hotmail/Outlook account, you can turn ON ‘Two-step Verification’. This you can do by going to My Account > Security > more security options > Set up two-step verification.
With this, we conclude the topic. Hope you were able to successfully set up your own secure Hotmail/Outlook account. If you are facing any issues, feel free to comment your case below. Hotmail has an ocean of engaging features and content of which we have discussed only a small fraction. Now that you have your own Hotmail account, you can explore it to use it fully to your purpose.